Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Simpler is better.

This is a truism that came to me from my beloved grandmother, Geneva Wright Thomas. I credit much of what I love and believe in to her. She taught me to garden. She taught me to cook. She taught me the joy of food, and the passion she learned from her parents for the land, and God's bounty.  My personal environmentalism is an out-growth of that. She didn't use the term "green". But she was green. She composted and recycled. She used local and seasonal ingredients, and preserved for the winter months. To her, it was done out of the necessities of a humble farm upbringing.  She was just demonstrating good stewardship of her limited resources and proper respect for the Earth's divine balance.

Her cooking was simple. Her recipes were simple, and for the most part, mine follow suit.  Here is one of my favorite summer harvest recipes that was inspired by her motto. 

Sweet & Sour Cole Slaw: 

This recipe is perfect for hot summer barbecues, tailgating and picnics, because it won't spoil in the heat. It is probably my most requested recipe. Even my farm-wife mother-in-law now uses it as her "go-to" salad for pot-luck meals at her church in rural Kansas. Nobody 'pot-lucks' like a Kansas Methodist. 


Salad:
1 small head of green cabbage, cored and shredded
1 small red, orange or yellow ripe bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 medium carrots, pealed & shredded
1 small sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla-Walla, etc.), diced

Mix together, cover with 3/4 cup sugar and refrigerate while you make the dressing.

Dressing:
2/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup salad oil (canola, etc.)
2 tsp non-iodized salt
1 Tbsp celery seeds

Mix together in pan, stirring until salt dissolves. Bring just to a boil. Pour over salad, stir and refrigerate at least an hour - preferably overnight.  I usually like to drain off some of the liquid after it sits overnight, so it doesn't get soggy.

Feel free to post your favorite simple recipe or simple food memory....

3 comments:

  1. Can I post a drink recipe to go with this?

    Here is my fave drink this summer and it goes something like this:

    Get out your favorite pitcher and dump in one lg (12 oz.) can of frozen concentrated lemonade...

    Then fill the empty can with water and add to the pitcher...

    Then fill the empty can with vodka and add that to the mixture...

    Add two bottles of Carona beer and mix...

    Chill and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave this cocktail a try with friends and barbecue this weekend. I used a different pilsner beer -- Red Stripe from Jamaica. It was great! This will become a favorite down at the lake, I think.

    ReplyDelete