Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Humble Dill Pickle...The summer gift that keeps giving all winter.

I love dill pickles. I could sit and eat an entire jar by myself for dinner. But I noticed the ones I bought in the store, while certainly serviceable, didn't really taste that much like the pickles my grandma used to make. I remember watching her make them. She didn't need a recipe card. It was all in her head. She had made so many dill pickles, over so many summers, that it was as natural to her as getting dressed in the morning.

I tried many times to duplicate her recipe, from my fragmented childhood memories, but never quite stuck the landing. I recall they were a Kosher-style pickle, although she used fine pickling salt, rather than Kosher salt. She said the main thing was to never use iodized salt. I started googling for recipes that seemed similar, and trying them out. One day I happened upon one, tweaked it with a few tricks I remember she shared with me, and, "Voila!" The taste of the Thanksgiving dinner's relish tray came flooding back.

Grandma's "Kosher-style" Dill Pickles:
You can do them whole, spears, slices, or whatever you want. I use a mandolin, most of the time. Just cut them right before you put them into jars. I will even put them back into the ice-water bath after I cut them. You want them as cool as...well, as cool as possible before they get hit with the brine. This is the secret to crunchy versus mushy pickles. 

For an extra kick, toss in a split hot pepper into each jar.  
  • 7 pounds 3 to 4 inch long pickling cucumbers (always trim off the ends - enzymes in the flower-end can make your pickles funky - I like my George Clinton funky, but not my pickles.)
  • 4 cups white vinegar
  • 12 cups water (filtered or bottled is much better than tap - but don't use distilled)
  • 2/3 cup pickling salt (or Kosher salt would work, too)
  • 14 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
  • 35 black peppercorns (5 per jar)
  • 7 sprigs fresh dill weed
  • 7 heads fresh dill weed
  1. Wash cucumbers, and place in the sink (I use a giant metal roasting pan) with cold water and lots of ice cubes. Soak in ice water for at least 2 hours - 4 is better. (DO NOT OMIT THIS STEP, or even try to short-cut it!) Refresh ice as required. 
  2. Sterilize 7 (1 quart ) canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. (My canning sterilizer only holds 7, so that's why the odd number.)
  3. In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, water, and pickling salt. Bring the brine to a rapid boil, then reduce heat.
  4. In each jar, place 2 half-cloves of garlic, one head of dill, 5 peppercorns, then enough cucumbers to fill the jar (about 1 pound). Then add 2 more garlic halves, and 1 sprig of dill. Fill jars with hot brine. Seal jars, making sure you have cleaned the jar's rims of any residue with a paper towel.
  5. Process sealed jars in a boiling water bath. Make sure the water covers the lids completely. Process quart jars for 10 - 15 minutes.
  6. Store pickles for a minimum of 2 weeks before eating. They are best after 8 weeks. Refrigerate after opening. Sealed jars of pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool dry place, out of direct sunlight.

1 comment:

  1. I made another batch this weekend. I am getting a lot of requests for more pickles. As long as I can still get decent kirby's I plan to make them.

    ReplyDelete